http://www.eeroaarnio.comEero Aarnio (born 21 July 1932 in Helsinki) is a Finnish interior designer, noted for his innovative furniture designs in the 1960s, such as his plastic and fibreglass chairs.
Aarnio studied at the Institute of Industrial Arts in Helsinki, and started his own office in 1962. The following year, he introduced his Ball Chair, a hollow sphere on a stand, open on one side to allow a person to sit within. The similar Bubble Chair was clear and suspended from above. Other innovative designs included his floating Pastil Chair (similar to a solid inner tube), and Tomato Chair (more stable with a seat between three spheres). His Screw Table, as the name suggests, had the appearance of a flat head screw driven into the ground. He was awarded the American Industrial Design award in 1968.
Aarnio’s designs were an important aspect of 1960s popular culture, and could often be seen as part of sets in period science-fiction films.
Eero Aarnio Biography
- Born 21.7.1932 in Helsinki, Finland
- School of Applied Arts, Helsinki 1954-57
- Married Pirkko Attila 1956
- Children Marja-Leena 1959 ja Rea 1961
- Designer, Asko Oy 1960-62 in Lahti, Finland
- Own design office 1962 Helsinki, Finland
- Eero Aarnio Design Studio GmbH 1978-82 in Cologne, Germany
- Design Studio in Tapiola, Finland 1982
- Eero Aarnio T:mi, Veikkola, Finland 1992
- Aarnio Design Ltd., Veikkola, Finland 2001
- Valmet Trade Mark Competition, Helsinki, Finland 1958, First Prize
- International Furniture Competition, Cantu, Italy 1959, Third Prize
- Export Furniture Competition, Helsinki, Finland 1963, Third Prize,
- International Competition on Furniture Design, Cantu, Italy 1964, First Prize
- Scandinavian Park and Street Competition 1965, Stockholm, Sweden, First Prize
- Steel Furniture Competition, Helsinki, Finland 1967, Second Prize
- International Design Award of the A.I.D. (American Institute of Interior Designers) for Pastil Chair (Gyro) 1968, New York, USA
- Honorary member of SIO (Finnish Association of Interior Designers) 1999
- The Finland Prize 2005, The Ministry of Education, Finland
- Interior Innovation Award Cologne 2006, Germany
- On November 30, 2007 Eero Aarnio was awarded an honorary title of professor by the President of Finland.
- The Compasso d’Oro Design award for Trioli chair, Italy 2008
- Kaj Frank Design Prize in Finland, 2008.
- Red dot design award winner 2010, Kubo brightlight therapy lamp.
- Pro Finlandia 2010
- Wallpaper Design Award 2011, Kubo brightlight therapy lamp.
- Red Dot Design Award 2012, for Ghost Lamp, Germany
- That´s it, Art Gallery Árvore, Porto, Portugal 2001
- Eero Aarnio, Kunsthalle, Helsinki, Finland 2003
- Eero Aarnio – popfantasier og sittende dagdrømmer, Kunstindustrimuseet, Oslo, Norway 2004
- Forestil dig en rund stol, Danish Design Center, Kopenhagen, Denmark 2005
- Pop Fantasies: Furniture Design by Eero Aarnio, The Embassy of Finland, Washington DC, USA 2005
- Fantasías del Pop. El diseño de Eero Aarnio, Museo Franz Mayer, Mexico City 2007
- “Retropop, Phantasie und Tagträume” at the Finnish Embassy in Berlin from November 8, 2007-January 4, 2008
- Kaj Frank Design Prize Exhibition in Design Forum Finland from December 11, 2008 till January 11, 2009.
- Kaj Frank Design Prize Exhibition at the exhibition center of the visual arts TR1 in Tampere from April 4 through May 5, 2009.
- Eero Aarnio Life in Design, AXIS Gallery, Tokyo and Design Museum de sign de, Osaka, Japan 2014
- Eero Aarnio, Design Museum, Helsinki, Finland 2016
- Rattan Stools, Asko Oy, Helsinki 1961
- 7+7 Arkitekter, Stockholm, Sweden 1964
- Triennale XIV, Milan, Italy 1964
- Eurodomus, Genova, Italy 1966 and Milan, Italy 1970
- Fiberglass Furniture, Asko Oy, Helsinki 1968
- Plastic as Plastic, New York, USA 1970
- Design aus Finnland, Asko GmbH, Cologne, Germany 1979
- Masters of Modern Design, IBM Gallery, New York, USA 1991
- Plastic Fantastic, Trapholt Museum of Modern Art, Denmark 2005
- Pop Art Design, EMMA (Espoo Museum of Modern Art), Finland 2015
- Golden Generations. Modernism in Finnish Architecture and Design, State Hermitage Museum, St. Petersburg, Russia 2015
Represented in Museums
- Museum of Modern Art, MoMA, New York, USA
- Victoria and Albert Museum, London, Great Britain
- Design Museum, Helsinki, Finland
- Vitra Design Museum, Weil am Rhein, Germany
- Centre Georges Pompidou, Paris, France
- Musée des arts décoratifs de Montreal, Canada
- Stedelijk Museum, Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Die Neue Sammlung, München, Germany
- Galerie für Avantgarde Kunst, Cologne, Germany
- Galerie für Zeitgenössische Kunst, Leipzig, Germany
- Kunsthal Rotterdam, Netherlands
- Kunstmuseum Düsseldorf im Ehrenhof, Germany
- Museum für Kunst und Gewerbe, Hamburg, Germany
- Brooklyn Museum, New York, USA
- Liliane and David M. Stewart Collection, Le Musée du Chateau Dufresne, Montreal, Canada
- Los Angeles County Museum of Art, USA
- Toledo Museum of Art, USA
- Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, Kansas City, USA
- Baltimore Museum of Art, USA
- Bauhaus Museum, Sydney, Australia
- San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (SFMoMa), San Francisco
- Veletrzni Palace ( Praque Museum of Modern Art ), Praque
Books of Eero Aarnio
- That´s it. Vestígio, Consultores de Design, Portugal 2001
- Eero Aarnio. Fang Hai. China Architecture & Building Press 2002
- Assume a round chair–Eero Aarnio and the 60´s. Kunsthalle Helsinki, University of Art and Design, Helsinki 2003
- Eero Aarnio. Fang Hai. Southeast University Press, China 2003
- Eero Aarnio, Kaj Frank Design Prize. Design Forum Finland 2008.
- I Protagonisti del Design/Eero Aarnio. Hachette, Italy 2011
- A = 4 π r2 Eero Aarnio. Design Forum, Finland 2014
- Eero Aarnio-Värin ja ilon muotoilija. (Eero Aarnio-Designer of Colour and Joy). WSOY, Finland 2016.
Eero Aarnio`s personal site www.eeroaarnio.com